The class system in Dragon Quest VI is composed of 18 classes, divided by 9 basic classes, 7 hybrid classes and 2 secret classes.
In order to become a class the Temple of Dharma must first be unlocked. This is done by defeating Murdaw in the Real World after first defeating Mudo in the Dream World. When that is done, the temple of Dharma is released and accessible in the Dream World.
There are nine available classes at the start:
A character can become any one of these classes. These classes are divided into eight tiers. Every time a character fights enough battles, a character goes up a tier in that class. Each tier teaches a character a skill or spell of that class. After the eighth tier, a class is mastered. A player can then choose a new class and repeat the process.
These are the seven classes available by mastering the basic classes first.
- Gladiator - Available after mastering the Warrior and Martial Artist classes.
- Paladin - Available after mastering the Martial Artist and Priest classes
- Sage - Available after mastering the Priest and Mage classes
- Luminary - Available after mastering the Gadabout and Dancer classes
- Ranger - Available after mastering the Merchant, Monster Master and Thief classes
- Armamentalist - Available after mastering the Warrior and Mage classes
- Hero - Available after mastering the Gladiator, Sage, and Luminary classes. The Hero only needs to master one of these classes to access this class.
There are two classes available through the use of a manual. Dragon (class) - Available with the Book of Dragons. Liquid Metal Slime (class) - Available with the Book of Babbles. Two of the optional party members, Lizzie and Mercury, both start off with the Dragon and Liquid Metal Slime classes respectively.
There is a Bonus Dungeon available in the Temple of Dharma. There is a room with 18 cauldrons, representing the 18 classes. At the end of the room is a wall which opens up to the Bonus Dungeon. It is only accessible when the player has at least had all the classes at the fifth tier of mastery. However, the Bonus Dungeon cannot be accessed until the game is beaten because the Book of Babbles' location is only shown in the end game's credits.
The player can lead their party against Dark Dream. Defeating this monster within 20 turns unlocks a new ending for the game.