Dragon Quest X: Awakening of the Five Tribes Online is the tenth game in the Dragon Quest game series. It was announced at a press conference in January 2009. It was stated in an interview that production would not take as long as it did on Dragon Quest IX. Yuji Horii also hinted that the game was half-way through development.
As of April 2011, Yuji Horii had announced that Dragon Quest X is almost done, "By the end of this year." That did not mean a definite release date has been announced nor a worldwide release at that.
A conference was aired live on Ustream on September 5th, 2011, revealing Dragon Quest X: Awakening of the Five Tribes Online. It became an MMORPG for the Wii. It was confirmed by the Square Enix website that there would be monthly subscription fees, at least for the Japanese version.
Dragon Quest X has a job system like in earlier games in the series, with initial job choices being Warrior, Priest, Mage, Martial Artist, Thief, and Minstrel. Additionally, unlike previous games, it is possible to change jobs in any of the game's towns.
The game has already been released in Japan and it has subscription fees. A 30-day subscription costs roughly $12, while a 60-day subscription scales up to $24. Paying the maximum for 90 days tops out at $35.50. 
On December 5th, 2013, Square Enix released the game's first expansion set, Dragon Quest X: The Sleeping Hero and the Guided Allies.
The second expansion set, Dragon Quest X: Legend of the Ancient Dragon, was released in Japan on April 30, 2015.
The gameplay of X is similar to that of VIII, with 3D graphics. The battle style is radically different than previous games, the overworld landscape is used when battling monsters, and once a battle is finished, they can move in overworld without cutting to the overworld, like previous games. Players can move while in battle and be attacked if they don't move in a certain amount of time.
For the first time in the Dragon Quest series the player can choose between 6 different types of races, with a 7th race to be included in Legend of the Ancient Dragon. The choices include:
- Human: The only playable race in the offline mode. They are native to Rendashia. After reaching a certain point in the main storyline, the player will be given the option to switch between Human and whichever race he/she chose at any church.
- Ogre: Native to Ogreed, the Ogre's are hulking humanoids with red skin, horns on their shoulders and forehead, and a tail. If the player chooses to play as an Ogre, it is never explained in detail how the Original Owner died. However, Village Chief Kurifugen later theorizes that he/she died upon coming into contact with Demon Zongaron.
- Weddie: The Weddies are an aquatic race with blue skin and fins on their ears and backs. They are native to the Wena Islands. If the player chooses to play as a Weddie, the Original Owner was killed in a swordfight that was supposed to be a friendly spar.
- Elf: Elves are native to Eltona. They are generally smaller in stature to Humans, and have pink skin, pointy ears, and two small wings on their backs.
- Dwarf: Dwarves are short beings with green skin and large ears native to Dwachakka.
- Puklipo: Puklipos are the shortest of the races, and are considered the cutest among fans. They have cream-colored skin and cat-like ears, and are native to Puku Land.
- Dragon: A new race that will be included in Legend of the Ancient Dragon. They have teal skin and two black horns on their heads.
- ↑ Dragon Quest X almost done, announcement 'by the end of this year' on joystiq.com
- ↑ FAQ question (Japanese) (English via Google Translate) (1UP.com)
- ↑ Get a Job in Dragon Quest X on rpgamer.com
- ↑ Dragon Quest X Has Subscription Fees, But Offers 2 Free Hours Per Day (EGMNow)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia-ja (view authors).|
|v · e · dDragon Quest (game series)|
|Mystery Dungeon series|
Kenshin • Slime MoriMori (Rocket Slime • Daikaizoku to Shippodan) • Monster Battle Road (II Legends • Victory • Scanner) • The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors • Wars • Theatrhythm • The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below (Twins Kings and Ending of the Prophecy) • Stars • Builders • Builders 2